[CentOS] Clone a custom CentOS 7 desktop using G4L over FTP

Fri May 25 04:45:04 UTC 2018
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

A couple months ago, I migrated our local school (two servers, 20
desktop clients) from Slackware 14.1 to CentOS 7. The desktop clients
are running a customized lightweight desktop based on Xfce:

https://blog.microlinux.fr/poste-de-travail-xfce-centos-7/

Home directories are all on the server, and authentication is
centralized. Everything works fine so far.

With Slackware I had found a neat trick to install the desktop clients.
First I installed and configured one single client PC from start to
finish. The I zeroed all the unused sectors on the disk, using something
like this:

  # dd if=/dev/zero of=/0bits bs=20M ; rm -f /0bits

Then I sent the disk image to a local FTP server using G4L (Ghost4Linux).

On all the other desktops PCs, I could then "import" the G4L image, and
the system was ready to use.

Under Slackware, the only thing I had to make sure was to remove the one
bit of hardcoded system information before uploading the image:

  # rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Now I tried to do this with CentOS, but I failed miserably. The system
wouldn't even start, since GRUB uses UUIDs and not /dev/sdX like
Slackware's bone-headed LILO boot manager.

So here's my question to the guru admins on this list. On a standard
CentOS desktop, what would I have to tweak in order to be able to clone
my system bit for bit, as is ?

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat