[CentOS] Clone a custom CentOS 7 desktop using G4L over FTP

Mon May 28 10:47:44 UTC 2018
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro>

Hello,

If that G4L is anything like dd then the UUIDs should have been preserved and GRUB should have worked.
If that didn't work then G4L is doing its own thing.

What you could do is perhaps set some LABELs in the original install on the partitions (see tune2fs), set GRUB and /etc/fstab to reference them, then if possible tell G4L to set those labels on the partitions after restore. You could of course keep using UUIDs, but that would be messier, LABELs are more human friendly.

You can also go back to using /dev/sdX, just as with LABELs above, but that can break under certain conditions and it's no longer recommended.

To obtain unique installations from a template you should at least:
- as you mentioned nuke the udev persistent rules
- delete the ssh keys in /etc/ssh (they will be regenerated)
- remove /var/lib/systemd/random-seed (affects system entropy, important for crypto, it gets regenerated)
- remove HWADDR and UUID entries from ifcfg files
- remove log files from /var/log
- do a "yum clean all"
- remove bash history
- remove leftover install files from /root (log and cfg)
- maybe relabel the filesystem with Selinux (touch /.autorelabel before powering off template)

There could be more you can do. Much of this can be put in a kickstart file actually and use that with PXE and a local mirror instead of G4L.. :-)
I do that for my cloud templates, e.g. http://dl.openvm.eu/cloudstack/config/centos/centos7-kvm.cfg

hth

Nux!
www.nux.ro