[CentOS] Red Hat is Planning To Deprecate KDE on RHEL By 2024

Sat Nov 10 18:36:32 UTC 2018
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

> Hi, based on the multitude of answers and options received, you can also
> consider the magnificent old days CDE, now open sourced.

CDE can actually be installed on Centos 7 through yum:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/dcantrel/cde/

Just install the repo file and "yum install cde"

That gives you CDE version 2.3.

I installed it on an VirtualBox image that I use for testing stuff and it looks pretty cool.

I missed out on CDE when it was the current thing; I was still using MSDOS (and DesqView) until about 1998 when I decided that DOS wasn't going to cut it in the brave new world of the Internet (though it worked great for FidoNet) and got a Windows 98 machine.  Decided I didn't like that much either so a couple of months after that I reformatted it and installed Red Hat Linux, and I've been here ever since.