[CentOS] Red Hat is Planning To Deprecate KDE on RHEL By 2024

Sat Nov 10 19:45:39 UTC 2018
Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 7:36 PM Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> > Hi, based on the multitude of answers and options received, you can also
> > consider the magnificent old days CDE, now open sourced.
>
> CDE can actually be installed on Centos 7 through yum:
>
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/dcantrel/cde/
>
> Just install the repo file and "yum install cde"
>
> That gives you CDE version 2.3.
>
> I installed it on an VirtualBox image that I use for testing stuff and it
> looks pretty cool.

Nice to know ;-)
Compiling it from surces needed some time and several dependencies... I
will try.
I see that there are Fedora 28/29 repos too.
Probably lacking dbus and other integrations, but nice to see it running

> I missed out on CDE when it was the current thing; I was still using MSDOS
> (and DesqView) until about 1998 when I decided that DOS wasn't going to cut
> it in the brave new world of the Internet (though it worked great for
> FidoNet) and got a Windows 98 machine.  Decided I didn't like that much
> either so a couple of months after that I reformatted it and installed Red
> Hat Linux, and I've been here ever since.

Optimal choice!