[CentOS] XPS 13 9370 / CentOS compat

Mon Nov 19 15:14:37 UTC 2018
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 11/19/18 5:02 AM, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
> Maybe its an earlier model (9360 or 9365). For the 9370 Dell stated and different
> user reports confirm it, that the XPS 13 (9370) has the WIFI module soldered on board.
>
> Some users on dell discussion portal reported also issues with the build camera.
>
> For now, I will stay away from the 9370 model ...

One of the things that makes Dell my preferred vendor is that they
publish service manuals:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-13-9370-laptop/manuals

I haven't looked through the entire guide, but there is no section for
replacing WiFi, and the sections I've looked at don't appear to
illustrate a WiFi module.  Pretty good indication that it's an
integrated component, I guess.

That said, I'm using a 9370 with Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac
(Killer 1435) under Fedora (newer kernel, so I can't say much about how
well it works under CentOS).  I have not noticed any issues.

Beyond that, you can select which chipset you want when you order the
laptop.  I don't think there's any reason people should stay away from
the 9370.  It's one of the few laptops on the market whose manufacturer
actively develops Linux support for the hardware.