[CentOS] Future Releases (was: What are the differences between systemd and non-systemd Linux distros?)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Oct 18 20:14:41 UTC 2018

On 10/18/2018 12:36 PM, Walter H. wrote:
> On 18.10.2018 00:08, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> The bottom line .. we don't make the decision whether or not to use
>> systemd or not.  We rebuild RHEL source code.
> will there come a CentOS 6.11 which will be capable of TLS1.3 or HTTP/2?
> I'm sure there will come a CentOS 8, but when is it probable to be
> released?

We have no idea .. we don't design what is in CentOS.  If Red Hat adds
those things to RHEL-6 then we will put them in CentOS .. If they don't
we won't.

> one of the most important things (for me), as I already noticed there
> will be quite differences
> between CentOS 6 and CentOS 7, not only systemd or not, also Apache 2.2
> and 2.4
> and many other;
> the config files won't be the same, will there be a migrate helper or
> something like this
> which does the config conversion to get a CentOS 7 or maybe then CentOS 8
> that does exact the same things the old CentOS 6 did?

No, there is no automated way to move from CentOS-6 to CentOS-7 .. and
we have no idea what will be in CentOS-8 until Red Hat releases RHEL-8.
We have no idea what will be in CentOS-6.11 until Red Hat releases
RHEL-6.11 .. and we have no idea what will be in the release of CentOS-7
until Red Hat releases RHEL-7.6 .. literally, we take the source code
they release .. modify it for Trademarks and Logos .. and release it.
Until it is released, we don't have a clue.