[CentOS] Future Releases

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Oct 19 01:18:29 UTC 2018

On 10/18/18 4:14 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 10/18/2018 12:36 PM, Walter H. wrote:
>> On 18.10.2018 00:08, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> The bottom line .. we don't make the decision whether or not to use
>>> systemd or not.  We rebuild RHEL source code.
>> will there come a CentOS 6.11 which will be capable of TLS1.3 or HTTP/2?
>> I'm sure there will come a CentOS 8, but when is it probable to be
>> released?
>>
> We have no idea .. we don't design what is in CentOS.  If Red Hat adds
> those things to RHEL-6 then we will put them in CentOS .. If they don't
> we won't.

And for example, if RH does not backport openSSL 1.1.1, you will not get
EDDSA certificate support for TLS  1.3.  Now you might not care about
this for your servers and just continue to use ECDSA certs. Clients will
increasingly encounter EDDSA certs and it will be interesting to see how
this is handled in older clients.  We have had years to spread support
for ECDSA before it started appearing from servers.  May not for EDDSA.

Self-touting, I have an Internet Draft out on using openSSL command line
to build an EDDSA pki.  I did the work on Fedora29-beta.

I think all the other TLS 1.3 features are in the latest 1.0.n version
of openSSL.  Of course that is ALSO a backport issue.

I have been told that if you set up your client to only accept TLS 1.3
connections, the Secure Internet gets really small really fast...