[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Tue Oct 30 06:46:44 UTC 2018

> On 10/29/18 1:55 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
>> To me it seems like, if they are smart, they will try to push IBM POWER
>> and RedHat Linux together to establish real competition in the hardware
>> market again (and of course don't forget to keep Fedora/CentOS alive)!
>
> Er, RHEL has been running on Power for a very long time.  The fastest
> supercomputer in the world is Power9 + RHEL.

What I meant is that POWER could become a competitor for Intel/AMD based
servers. We're now running AMD EPYC servers with 64Cores/128Threads and we
didn't find any POWER system which could compete in this area.

Also, looking at TOP500 list there are not so many POWER systems anymore.
IBM could change this now.

Regards,
Simon