[CentOS] Upstream and downstream (was Re: What are the differences between systemd and non-systemd Linux distros?)

Sat Oct 20 14:42:53 UTC 2018

On Sat, October 20, 2018 8:23 am, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 05:52:12PM -0700, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
>> The wider EL community is trapped between a rock and a hard place
>> somewhat. If you try to direct Fedora into the needs of EL users,
>> you stand a good chance of getting told to pound stand, and that EL
>> is getting in the way of bleeding-edge progress. Traditionally,
>
> For what it's worth (I hope something!) I think this is an outdated fear
> or
> assumption. Before Fedora.next, the "default user" for Fedora was assumed
> be an indiviual desktop user, and the overall Fedora OS offering meant to
> be
> one-size-fits-all but modeled to that user. That wasn't working, partly
> for the reason you identify here. Nonetheless, something like 20% of
> Fedora
> usage is on servers, and a lot of people work with Fedora in parallel with
> a Enterprise Linux deployment. We needed to find a place for those users
> have a voice.

I would like to hear the reasons of those who chose to use Fedora on their
server. Specifically what advantages one has found compared to other
alternatives. And also what kind of server that is. Single
user/home/family one? Serving some department or similar (say 100 people,
who may need services 24/7/365)? I know, this is just my curiosity, as I
did make my own choice, but curiosity grossly fueled by the fact that my
choice is grossly different.

Always happy to hear different [from mine] opinions which may be based on
different objectives.

Valeri