[CentOS] Upstream and downstream (was Re: What are the differences between systemd and non-systemd Linux distros?)

Sat Oct 20 15:22:17 UTC 2018
Yan Li <elliot.li.tech at gmail.com>

On 10/20/18 7:42 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> I would like to hear the reasons of those who chose to use Fedora on their
> server. Specifically what advantages one has found compared to other
> alternatives. And also what kind of server that is. Single
> user/home/family one? Serving some department or similar (say 100 people,
> who may need services 24/7/365)? I know, this is just my curiosity, as I
> did make my own choice, but curiosity grossly fueled by the fact that my
> choice is grossly different.
>
> Always happy to hear different [from mine] opinions which may be based on
> different objectives.

We are running about 50 development servers for the Storage Systems
Research Center in the University of California, Santa Cruz. All Fedora.
We will be updating all machines to F29 as soon as it is released. The
reason is that we want the students to have access to the latest
development toolchain, libraries, and other tools from the Linux world
in a reasonably stable fashion. Fedora is the best fit. Not bleeding
edge, but not outdated either. Our infrastructure servers, such as file
sharing, cluster management, etc., are all Fedora machines too, for
homogeneity and simplicity.

We don't need 24/7/365 uptime, but in my memory, there has been no
downtime caused by anything in Fedora in the past decade. And we always
do in-place upgrading when a new Fedora comes out. Upgrading from one
Fedora to the next never failed us in the past decade either in my memory.

Occasionally, one or more machines will be loaded with CentOS 7 for a
few months for running Lustre or some other CentOS/RHEL certified software.

This is unrelated to the campus-wise Linux clusters that are managed by
the university IT department, which maintains hundreds of CentOS
machines for the whole campus.

I also know colleagues who maintain Fedora as servers from my other
jobs. These were for all kinds of services: email, file storage,
development, etc. Why Fedora over CentOS? I guess Fedora is more fun to
play with and is stable enough for these applications. As I said before,
in-place upgrading for Fedora is pretty reliable. And doing it once a
year (or every 6 months) to get the latest software is a good bargain
for a techie.

--
Yan Li