[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Tue Oct 30 14:40:10 UTC 2018
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

>>> Er, RHEL has been running on Power for a very long time.  The fastest
>>> supercomputer in the world is Power9 + RHEL.
>> What I meant is that POWER could become a competitor for Intel/AMD based
>> servers. We're now running AMD EPYC servers with 64Cores/128Threads and
>> we
>> didn't find any POWER system which could compete in this area.
>
> As a matter of interest, did you look at IBM's own Power Systems (IBM
> System i, AS/400, System p, as was)? They promote some of these models
> as having very powerful processing capabilities but I wonder how they
> compare in practice with Epyc or Xeon systems.

I always had the impression that those IBM systems were priced in a
different range from what we were interested in. And I know that I didn't
find any price listed online when looking for POWER servers from IBM last
time - and I know what that means :-)

If they came back now with something like their deprecated X86 servers
(Netfinity, System x) but on POWER, that could be interesting.

Regards,
Simon