[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Tue Oct 30 14:49:15 UTC 2018
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Simon Matter wrote:

>>> What I meant is that POWER could become a competitor for Intel/AMD
>>> based servers. We're now running AMD EPYC servers with
>>> 64Cores/128Threads and
>>> we didn't find any POWER system which could compete in this area.
>>
>> As a matter of interest, did you look at IBM's own Power Systems (IBM
>> System i, AS/400, System p, as was)? They promote some of these models
>> as having very powerful processing capabilities but I wonder how they
>> compare in practice with Epyc or Xeon systems.
>
> I always had the impression that those IBM systems were priced in a
> different range from what we were interested in. And I know that I didn't
> find any price listed online when looking for POWER servers from IBM last
>  time - and I know what that means :-)
>
> If they came back now with something like their deprecated X86 servers
> (Netfinity, System x) but on POWER, that could be interesting.

Um, yep. The AS/400/system 1/whatever is not a small system. It's what
used to be called a mid-frame, not a micro. It's money.

Back around '94, I worked at a small software house that had it's own
DOS/VSR/SP mini-mainrame: Looked like a *very* large tower case... and
cost $192k. I wouldn't expect a system 1, if that's the current name, to
be under $100k or $200k, minimum.

         mark