[CentOS] In place upgrade of RHEL 8 Beta to CentOS 8?

Tue Apr 9 14:40:01 UTC 2019
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 4/8/19 3:20 PM, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> I'm about to rebuild a server, currently running CentOS 6. If I have to do an
> OS reinstall, my intention is to upgrade, as it's the oldest OS server under
> my purview. As this server is pretty low visibility, I'd like to see if I can
> start using EL 8 instead of 7.x.
>
> In the past, I was able to switch between different OS variants by simply
> changing out the yum.d files; EG: RHEL 6.x becomes CentOS 6.x by replacing a
> single RPM and doing a `yum -y clean all; yum -y update` without issue.
>
> How likely is it that similar functionality will exist switching from RHEL 8
> Beta to CentOS 8 final? Google pounding provided little info. I couldn't even
> find useful information for the transition from RHEL 7 Beta.

There will not be any plan to do that, no.  Nor could you upgrade from
RHEL-8 beta to RHEL-8. They just don't build it with that in mind.

As Smooge said .. it might be possible.  But the whole point of the beta
is to allow for design changes.  The full package set was likely not
completely set, so some things could be removed or added and a bunch of
manual removals, re-installs would be required.  Different libraries may
be linked. Etc, etc.

I can't see almost any circumstance where I would recommend doing this.