[CentOS] epel-repository | repomd.xml.asc: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 19:31:57 UTC 2019

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 14:15, Stefanie Leisestreichler <
stefanie.leisestreichler at peter-speer.de> wrote:

> Hi.
> I try to install openvpn at my centos 7 server (CentOS Linux release
> 7.6.1810 (Core)).
>
> According to many tutorials at the internet, I was using
> yum install epel-release -y to enable the repo.
>
> When (after installing epel-release) I try to install openvpn using
> yum install openvpn -y
>
> I get this error:
> Geladene Plugins: fastestmirror
> epel/x86_64/metalink
> 30 kB  00:00:00
>   * base: mirror.fra10.de.leaseweb.net
>   * epel: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
>   * extras: ftp.rz.uni-frankfurt.de
>   * updates: centos.schlundtech.de
> base/7/x86_64/signature
> 811 B  00:00:00
> base/7/x86_64/signature
> 3.6 kB  00:00:00 !!!
> https://mirror.imt-systems.com/epel/7/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml.asc:
> [Errno 14] HTTPS Error 404 - Not Found
> Anderer Spiegelserver wird versucht.
>
> Ater that I get a lot of these errors, all with the same signature:
>
> https://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/epel/7/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml.asc:
>
> [Errno 14] HTTPS Error 404 - Not Found
> Anderer Spiegelserver wird versucht.
> http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/epel/7/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml.asc:
> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found
> Anderer Spiegelserver wird versucht.
> https://mirror.infonline.de/epel/7/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml.asc:
> [Errno 14] HTTPS Error 404 - Not Found
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The problem is that you have a security setting turned on which is looking
for a GPG signature that EPEL doesn't have.

http://smoogespace.blogspot.com/2018/04/epel-security-profiles-in-el7-can-cause.html

The reason for the lack of GPG signatures on the repository metadata is due
to the fact that EPEL uses metalink which contains the signatures in the
xml delivered. Whether or not that meets various security requirements ends
up being something outside of my paygrade.

> Thanks,
> Steffi

Stephen J Smoogen.