[CentOS] Are linux distros redundant?

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Apr 24 14:18:40 UTC 2019

Andrew Holway wrote:
> I just realised that I haven't touched a centos/redhat machine in more
> than a couple of years. Everything I do now is Kubernetes based or using
> cloud services (or k8s cloud services).
>
> What about it listeroons? Is your fleet of centos boxes ever expanding or
>  are you just taking care of a single java 6 jboss application that takes
>  care of the companies widget stocks?
>
> How are your jobs changing?

Nope. Well... actually, my manager's talking about Ubuntu or maybe even
FreeBSD. He's *extremely* upset with RH being so slow - 8 should have been
out for some time, for one, and a lot of 7, even with SCL, is far behind,
and our researchers want newer software.

But most of our Office's work is done in-house. Lots of CentOS and RH,
lesser amounts, AFAIK, of ubuntu.

Cloud? Why would I want to go back to time-sharing on a mainframe?*

        mark

* Go ahead, explain the difference to me, and if you start to write "but
it's many servers", then you don't understand timesharing on a mainframe.