[CentOS] Are linux distros redundant?

Wed Apr 24 16:56:22 UTC 2019
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> Andrew Holway wrote:
>> I just realised that I haven't touched a centos/redhat machine in more
>> than a couple of years. Everything I do now is Kubernetes based or using
>> cloud services (or k8s cloud services).
>>
>> What about it listeroons? Is your fleet of centos boxes ever expanding
>> or
>>  are you just taking care of a single java 6 jboss application that
>> takes
>>  care of the companies widget stocks?
>>
>> How are your jobs changing?
>
> Nope. Well... actually, my manager's talking about Ubuntu or maybe even
> FreeBSD. He's *extremely* upset with RH being so slow - 8 should have been
> out for some time, for one, and a lot of 7, even with SCL, is far behind,
> and our researchers want newer software.

Maybe you should try to explain to your manager why RHEL/CentOS exist and
why it's widely used in the corporate world. If he talks about Ubuntu then
you could explain to him what Fedora is any why and how it differs from
RHEL/CentOS.

Of course, managers do not always listen to those who do the real work.

Regards,
Simon