[CentOS] browsers slowing Centos 7 installation to a crawl

Michael Hennebry

hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Aug 5 15:44:00 UTC 2019

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019, Peter wrote:

> On 5/08/19 10:42 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> Mem:        2020144     1454904       76140      204764      489100
>> 135004
>> Swap:       4883724      978480     3905244
>
> free -h is generally more readable, but...
>
> It's RAM.  You basically have a total of 2G ram on the system, you have
> less than 500M available and are into swap by nearly 1G, so you're
> swapping heavily.  2G is enough for a minimal install but browsers such
> as firefox and chrome can easily use a lot of memory fast and trying to
> run one on a 2G system while doing an install at the same time will get
> you swapping and slow the system to a crawl.

To be clear, by "Centos 7 installation",
I meant a PC on which Centos 7 was installed.

In any case, Centos 7 has not always been this slow.
Presumably something has changed.
I've been living with this for several months,
but not forever.
I can run compilers and stuff without an internet connection,
so I could get some work done.

To get that output, I had free running in a loop and waited for
the freeze before copy and pasting.

I wasn't surprised by the result.
Occasionally top shows kswap0 (I think) in a D state.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards