[CentOS] browsers slowing Centos 7 installation to a crawl

Richard

lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net
Mon Aug 5 16:30:16 UTC 2019

> Date: Monday, August 05, 2019 10:44:00 -0500
> From: Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
>
> To be clear, by "Centos 7 installation",
> I meant a PC on which Centos 7 was installed.
>
> In any case, Centos 7 has not always been this slow.
> Presumably something has changed.
> I've been living with this for several months,
> but not forever.
> I can run compilers and stuff without an internet connection,
> so I could get some work done.
>
> To get that output, I had free running in a loop and waited for
> the freeze before copy and pasting.
>
> I wasn't surprised by the result.
> Occasionally top shows kswap0 (I think) in a D state.

Does the system slow down when you have your internet connection
enabled, but aren't explicitly using it (i.e., not using a browser)?
If so, look at the netstat output (as root) to see what's going on.
You may have some process that runs when the connection is enabled
that is taking up system/network resources.

Separately, turn off javascript in the browser you are using and see
if that has an effect.

   - Richard