[CentOS] another bizarre thing...

Jobst Schmalenbach

jobst at barrett.com.au
Mon Aug 12 00:16:35 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 08:57:45PM -0400, Fred Smith (fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us) wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm stuck on something really bizarre that is happening to a product
> I "own" at work. It's a C program, built on CentOS, runs on CentOs or
> RHEL, has been in circulation since the early 00's, is in use at
> hundreds of sites.
>
> recently, at multiple customer sites it has started just going away.
> no core file (yes, ulimit is configured), nothing in any of its
> (several) log files. it's just gone.

Late to the thread but since it has not been suggested: Have you tried to statically link all libs?

Then use Frank Cox's suggestion to use printf's at location thoughout the source code.

I know it will be big (depending on the number of libs)
But this way you are sure that the compile is against a known (yours) set of libs!

Also have you recompiled it and given the new binaries to the customers?

Just an idea ..

--

Jobst Schmalenbach

Nice computers don't go down.