[CentOS] another bizarre thing...

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Aug 12 00:52:59 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:16:35AM +1000, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 08:57:45PM -0400, Fred Smith (fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us) wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I'm stuck on something really bizarre that is happening to a product
> > I "own" at work. It's a C program, built on CentOS, runs on CentOs or
> > RHEL, has been in circulation since the early 00's, is in use at
> > hundreds of sites.
> >
> > recently, at multiple customer sites it has started just going away.
> > no core file (yes, ulimit is configured), nothing in any of its
> > (several) log files. it's just gone.
> >

> Late to the thread but since it has not been suggested: Have you tried to statically link all libs?

I doubt modern Linux systems will produce a fully-static binary, since
many of the system libs come only as .so files.

> Then use Frank Cox's suggestion to use printf's at location thoughout the source code.
>
> I know it will be big (depending on the number of libs)
> But this way you are sure that the compile is against a known (yours) set of libs!
>

> Also have you recompiled it and given the new binaries to the customers?

Yes, every time there's a new RHEL/CentOS version released it gets
completely rebuilt on that new release. I don't depend on compatibility
between releases. Not to mention as maintenance and feeping-creaturism*
strikes.

* for those not in the know: feeping-creaturism ==> creeping featurism

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.