[CentOS] failing to install LibreOffice 6.3.0.4

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Aug 12 00:48:29 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 01:51:21PM +1000, Bill Maidment wrote:
> On 11/08/2019 1:25 pm, Frank Cox wrote:
> >On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 22:37:13 -0400
> >Fred Smith wrote:
> >
> >>unpack all the rpm files, type "yum install *.rpm", or "yum
> >>localinstall
> >>*.rpm" and yum spews the list of filenames (with the word
> >>"examining" in front
> >>of each file) then says "nothing to do".
> >
> >Do you have anu version of libreoffice already installed?
>
> Hi Fred
> I'm running SL6 and SL7 and I have just installed LibreOffice
> 6.3.0.4 OK in both. It should be just the same in CentOS.
> It's best to do yum remove libreoffice* first to get rid of any
> earlier version, then go to the folder where you have all the new
> rpms and do yum install *.rpm

in answer to you and the several other responses to my posting:

I removed the distro-provided LO, excluded it so yum won't try
to reinstall it, some time ago.

I've been installing the latest from LOo periodically since then.

Since my posting, I've remembered that the last time I installed LO
I had the same problem and my "solution" was to use rpm -ivh *.rpm
instead of yum. that workaround works fine.

To the poster who commented that "we" don't distribute later versions
of LO, see above where I tell where I got it.

I don't understand why yum refuses to install it, while rpm will.

Thanks for all your responses!

Fred