[CentOS] CentOS Amazon Machine Image?

Jon Pruente

jpruente at riskanalytics.com
Tue Aug 20 23:13:10 UTC 2019

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 4:48 PM Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>
wrote:

> Tru, it is getting me closer.  Next step is to figure out how to get
> this image on an EC2 instance.  Or whatever it is suppose to be called.
>
> AH, I think I have it.  The Centos Image is free, but the infrastructure
> cost is $0.012/hr which means 1 image per free in the free tier.
> Additional images come out to $9/mo.
>
> So if I have this right, I can play around all I want and learn on a
> single image, but 2nd image will cost.

It's an AMI (Amazon Machine Image). You launch a new EC2 instance and in
the setup you can search for and choose the CentOS one. It wasn't in the
first search page for me, I had to click further into "AWS Marketplace" to
find it. AWS bills per hour (though some newer AWS stuff is moving to
per-second). In the free tier you get 750 hours of t2.micro run time for
free. A typical month is 744 hours. You can split that up however you want.
Run 75 instances for 10 hours each? Sure. Run 750 instances for 1 hour
each? Sure. AWS billing can get complex, but be aware that you can be
charged for run time of your instance(s), additional storage space,
bandwidth overages, etc. There isn't much to worry about if you are being
reasonable but TANSTAAFL so read through https://aws.amazon.com/free/ and
understand what the limitations are.