[CentOS] I broke "yum update" - C7

Gary Stainburn

gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 11:17:47 UTC 2019

On Friday 30 August 2019 12:03:26 Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> You are welcome Gary. And I am curious about what the cause of your repo
> troubles is.

I have looked back over what I have done, and cannot see what has caused the problem to occurr. I do not see anywhere where it could have been from any action that I have taken, including deleting the contents of the yum cache.

> That's good. Now please verify that the ca-certificates RPM is healthy:
>
> rpm -V ca-certificates
>
> In addition you can grep for the DigiCert certificates which are used by
> the fedoraproject.org mirror servers for EPEL (concentrating on a single
> broken HTTPS repo for now):
>
> # grep "DigiCert" /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
> # DigiCert Assured ID Root CA
> # DigiCert Assured ID Root G2
> # DigiCert Assured ID Root G3
> # DigiCert Global Root CA
> # DigiCert Global Root G2
> # DigiCert Global Root G3
> # DigiCert High Assurance EV Root CA  <<- that one must be there
> # DigiCert Trusted Root G4
>
> Besides a corrupted certificates bundle I cannot imagine a different
> root cause actually.

I have done both of these steps and got the same results as you. This may be because I have already re-installed ca-certificates as Tony's suggestion.

The main thing is that the server now has a working yum once again, but it wouls have been nice to find out the original cause.

Once again, thanks to everyone for you assistance.  I found it very educational.