[CentOS] Question on server speed

Mon Aug 5 17:25:18 UTC 2019
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 at 13:17, Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a customer server with 32 cores, 128G ram i7960X. So nice box...
>
> Why is it that "all" I am really doing at the moment is copying things to
> an external SSD disk USB3 connected and the machine "freezes"... Why is
> that?

You may have a motherboard which is routing a lot through a single USB
controller. When that happens your graphical workstation will slow down
because your keyboard and mouse events and some other polling has to
complete before it can do the next thing. THis has nothing to do with the
amount of RAM or cores in the system.. the hardware itself has been
designed to have a blocking unit on it as can be seen by the fact that
network logins are also freezing.

> clearly plenty of CPU RAM everything...
> I can see "blocking" to write data to the external disk - but there are 31
> other cores and plenty of memory to make it "seem" as nothing is happening
> right now.

Those 31 cores are waiting for the hardware backbus to be opened up for
writing. Until that happens they are just spinning. Some of this depends on
how the motherboard is designed and some of this may be x86 architecture
issues.