[CentOS] Updating firefox after a long time yum-excluded it and having installed it from .rpm

Sun Dec 8 10:23:20 UTC 2019
wwp <subscript at free.fr>

Hello Phil,

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 22:55:30 +0000 Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org> wrote:

> On 07/12/2019 22:42, wwp wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been stuck for a while with an old version of firefox, installed
> > from local .rpm (I know.. I should have downgraded using yum, instead)
> > and added a exclude=firefox to the relevant .repo file. I did that
> > after a yum-update has brought firefox 52+, and all add-ons were
> > deprecated because of their new add-on scheme.
> >
> > Today that all the add-ons I need are available, I've tried upgrading
> > to the latest Firefox version available from the updates repo.. I
> > removed the exclude line in .repo file, but `yum update` didn't bring any
> > firefox version at all: "No packages marked for update". I've struggled
> > a bit, no way to get firefox installed using yum. See..
> >
> > $ rpm -q firefox
> > firefox-52.8.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64
> >
> > $ yum info firefox
> > Installed Packages
> > Name        : firefox
> > Arch        : x86_64
> > Version     : 52.8.0
> > Release     : 1.el7.centos
> > Size        : 149 M
> > Repo        : installed
> >  From repo   : /firefox-52.8.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64
> > [snip]
> >
> > $ yum search firefox
> > firefox.x86_64 : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
> >
> > $ yum update firefox
> > No packages marked for update
> >
> > $ rpm -q firefox
> > firefox-52.8.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64
> >
> > $ rpm -e firefox
> >
> > $ rpm -q firefox
> > package firefox is not installed
> >
> > $ yum install firefox
> > No package firefox available.
> >
> > Even:
> > $ yum localinstall firefox-68.2.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm
> > Examining firefox-68.2.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm: firefox-68.2.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64
> > Nothing to do
> >
> > I still can install it using `rpm -i`, but I'm afraid yum-updates will not bring anything later.
> >
> > What an I doing wrong?
> >

> Try 'yum clean all' and then try again - any good?

Didn't help.

> If not, what about:
>
> yum --disableexcludes=all install firefox
>
> I'm guessing it's still excluded somewhere even though you think you've removed the exclude.

Good guess, that one did help. Finally, thanks to your suggestion, I've
found that it was an exclude line in /etc/yum.conf, PEBCAK.

Many thanks, Phil!

Regards,

--
wwp