[CentOS] Updating firefox after a long time yum-excluded it and having installed it from .rpm

Sat Dec 7 22:55:30 UTC 2019
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 07/12/2019 22:42, wwp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been stuck for a while with an old version of firefox, installed
> from local .rpm (I know.. I should have downgraded using yum, instead)
> and added a exclude=firefox to the relevant .repo file. I did that
> after a yum-update has brought firefox 52+, and all add-ons were
> deprecated because of their new add-on scheme.
>
> Today that all the add-ons I need are available, I've tried upgrading
> to the latest Firefox version available from the updates repo.. I
> removed the exclude line in .repo file, but `yum update` didn't bring any
> firefox version at all: "No packages marked for update". I've struggled
> a bit, no way to get firefox installed using yum. See..
>
> $ rpm -q firefox
> firefox-52.8.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64
>
> $ yum info firefox
> Installed Packages
> Name        : firefox
> Arch        : x86_64
> Version     : 52.8.0
> Release     : 1.el7.centos
> Size        : 149 M
> Repo        : installed
>  From repo   : /firefox-52.8.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64
> [snip]
>
> $ yum search firefox
> firefox.x86_64 : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
>
> $ yum update firefox
> No packages marked for update
>
> $ rpm -q firefox
> firefox-52.8.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64
>
> $ rpm -e firefox
>
> $ rpm -q firefox
> package firefox is not installed
>
> $ yum install firefox
> No package firefox available.
>
> Even:
> $ yum localinstall firefox-68.2.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm
> Examining firefox-68.2.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm: firefox-68.2.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64
> Nothing to do
>
> I still can install it using `rpm -i`, but I'm afraid yum-updates will not bring anything later.
>
> What an I doing wrong?

Try 'yum clean all' and then try again - any good?

If not, what about:

yum --disableexcludes=all install firefox

I'm guessing it's still excluded somewhere even though you think you've
removed the exclude.