[CentOS] Problem with mdadm, raid1 and automatically adds any disk to raid

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Tue Feb 26 14:37:34 UTC 2019

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 11:54 PM Simon Matter via CentOS
> <centos at centos.org>
> wrote:
>

>> > What makes you think this has *anything* to do with systemd? Bitching
>> > about systemd every time you hit a problem isn't helpful.  Don't.
>>
>> If it's not systemd, who else does it? Can you elaborate, please?
>>

> I'll wager it's the mdadm.service unit.  You're seeing systemd in the log
> because systemd has a unit loaded that's managing your md devices.  The
> package mdadm installs these files:
>
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/mdadm.service
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/mdmonitor-takeover.service
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/mdmonitor.service

I'm not sure what your box runs but it's at least not CentOS 7.

CentOS 7 contains these md related units:
/usr/lib/systemd/system/mdadm-grow-continue at .service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/mdadm-last-resort at .service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/mdadm-last-resort at .timer
/usr/lib/systemd/system/mdmonitor.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/mdmon at .service

The only md related daemon running besides systemd is mdadm. I've never
seen such behavior with EL6 and the mdadm there so I don't think it will
ever do such things.

The message produced comes from mdadm-last-resort at .timer. Whatever
triggers it it's either systemd or something like systemd-udevd.

How is it not systemd doing it? Such things didn't happen with pre systemd
distributions.

Regards,
Simon