[CentOS] What files to edit when changing the sdX of hard drives?

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Feb 28 17:22:38 UTC 2019

> Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>> Le 28/02/2019 à 04:12, Jobst Schmalenbach a écrit :
>>
>>> I want to lock in the SDA/SDB/SDC for my drives
>>
>> In short : use UUIDs or labels instead of hardcoding /dev/sdX.
>>
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/persistent_block_device_naming
>
> Yeah - I strongly believe in labels, given the fact that *no* one can
> remember a UUID....

UUIDs can be helpful to automate things. On the other side they make
things more difficult than needed.

In my example I had two quite large servers with existing hardware. One of
the servers was already installed and in production. I had to clone the
hole system onto the second box but make sure that all UUIDs are unique in
the end.

Back in the old days that was an very easy task. But now, the hole system
consisted of 91 UUIDs for block devices/LVM/filesystems alone, with
additional UUIDs for other devices like ethernet interfaces.

I had a lot of fun!

Regards,
Simon