[CentOS] What files to edit when changing the sdX of hard drives?

Thu Feb 28 18:29:41 UTC 2019
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Phelps, Matthew wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:52 AM mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Nicolas Kovacs wrote:

>>> In short : use UUIDs or labels instead of hardcoding /dev/sdX.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/persistent_block_device_naming
>>
>> Yeah - I strongly believe in labels, given the fact that *no* one can
>> remember a UUID....
>
> ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
> (copy)
> (paste)

That is, of course, assuming you have a running system, that you haven't
replaced a hard drive, an MDraid's not giving you trouble, etc.

And oh, I put that in another system, and it's also got partition one
labled boot... so? I'm not trying to boot off of it, I'm going to mount it
on /mnt.

No, I dislike UUIDs. I dislike, strongly, lots of extra typing that
doesn't really get me anything. MAYBE, if you're in a Google or Amazon
datacenter, with 500,000 physical servers (I phone interviewed with them
10 years ago)... but short of that? Nope.

      mark