[CentOS] What files to edit when changing the sdX of hard drives?

Thu Feb 28 19:55:15 UTC 2019
miguel medalha <medalist at sapo.pt>

> No, I dislike UUIDs. I dislike, strongly, lots of extra typing that
> doesn't really get me anything. MAYBE, if you're in a Google or Amazon
> datacenter, with 500,000 physical servers (I phone interviewed with them
> 10 years ago)... but short of that? Nope.

You can (perhaps should...) use the World Wide Name, which is a
manufacturer ID unique to each disk. Contrary to the /sdX, it doesn't
change with different configurations, OS or computer. An example of such
an ID is the following:

/dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x50025ee3b4f5ca61

Many modern disks have their WWN printed on their labels.