[CentOS] Centos 7 and backup solution

Mon Jan 28 15:12:23 UTC 2019

On 1/28/19 6:23 AM, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:

>> Am 28.01.2019 um 10:50 schrieb Peter Eckel <lists at eckel-edv.de>:
>>
>> Hi Alessandro,
>>
>>> Why many users skip bacula? It is powerfull and very stable. It is very difficult to setup but if you know how it works it is simple.
>

> IMHO - as Kern (Bacula lead developer) is pushing Bacula forward I dont understand this too. It must be
> a misinformation about the current status of the project itself and competitors interests (Bareos).
>

>> I used Bacula before I switched to Bareos.
>>
>> There was a point, however, when the open source release of Bacula became, to put it mildly, a bit too inactive for my taste.
>

> Inactive? Every 2 months a release (average):

No rant intended... I believe, at some point there were no binary client
for Windows system released for latest (at that point) bacula release.
One could get that if one was a paid customer though, which my
Department(s) WAS. That put _me_ off of upgrades to the server, and
ultimately affected decision to switch over to bareos. (the very first
thing I noticed: "status director" command in console in bareos was
executed very fast compared my old bacula server. But that could be just
me).

That said, I want to express gratitude bacula team for the great job
they were doing which really made my backup for two departments I work
for just a wonder. Several times I had to do restore, and that saved my
people who accidentally deleted some important stuff (whole version
control place for some important software project with all history,
releases, branches was one of them).

> https://sourceforge.net/p/bacula/mailman/bacula-announce/
>

>> Obviously I wasn't alone with this, because roughly at that time Bareos was forked from Bacula.
>>
>> <http://www.admin-magazine.com/Archive/2013/17/New-features-in-the-Bareos-Bacula-fork>
>>
>> Essentially, Bareos is an improved (at least IMHO) fork of Bacula, and unlike Bacuka it's fully open source.
>

> IIRC Bacula is also open source software. Remember RHEL binaries are not free
> available ... if you are referring to precompiled MS Windows binaries of Bacula).
>
> BTW Bacula is included in CentOS/RHEL albeit in an older version. This applies also
> for example to PHP and has the cause in the enterprise strategy of the distribution.
> So don't blame the wrong one.

In this place I will just second what you said.

Valeri