[CentOS] Performing post-installation setup tasks - for 75 minutes

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 10:03:49 UTC 2019

On Friday 01 March 2019 09:52:52 Pete Biggs wrote:
> Just as an added bit of information (because I see you are getting avc
> issues as well).
>
> I often see this when using Intel firmware raid - it basically comes
> down to the initialisation of the RAID being a quite long process and
> if initialisation and installation is happening at the same time
> everything fights for disk bandwidth. A new installation on a new 1 Tb
> RAID 1 can take 4 or 5 hours.
>
> I usually just let it get on with its stuff and I come back in a few
> hours (I've got plenty of other things to do!). Sometimes, if I know
> I'll have to watch the install or if I'm trying new things, I'll boot
> into a live CD and let the RAID initialisation happen there.

Thanks for this Pete.  Last time I built a server of this size, I did it at
the end of the day and went home. This time it was time critical as I'm
replacing 2 dead servers, so I was doing it during the day and watching.

It was just so frustrating at 7pm having seen the post-installation for over 2
hours. Just out of interest it would have been nice to know exactly when it
did happen, but we'll never know.