[CentOS] Permissions on nginx logs

Tue May 7 11:50:37 UTC 2019
Anthony K <akcentos at anroet.com>

On 4/5/19 8:03 am, Bee.Lists wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> Just wondering if I can change the ownership on the nginx logs folder so I can access them easier for analysis on a regular basis and cronjobs.
>
> /var/log/nginx is owned by nginx:nginx which shuts me out.
>

> Cheers, Bee

Here's a twist to the other provided solutions.  I find it easier to
leave permissions as they are and instead use ACL's. That way, I can
remove the ACL's (# sudo setfacl -b /path/to/dir) and not worry about
what the original permissions were.

This is how I'd sort it out:

First, I'd create a default ACL (this will allow new files in the
directory to inherit the ACL):
# sudo setfacl -d -m u:<your_user_name>:rwx /var/log/nginx

Next, I'dd apply the ACL to the directory:
# sudo setfacl -m u:<your_user_name>:rwx /var/log/nginx

Finally, I'd ensure that I can access existing files in that directory:
# sudo sh -c "find /var/log/nginx -maxdepth 1 -type f -exec setfacl -m
u:<your_user_name>:r {} \;"

Caveat: I use EXT4 so not sure how this would play with other file systems.