[CentOS] Permissions on nginx logs

Tue May 7 15:32:26 UTC 2019
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On May 7, 2019, at 7:14 AM, Bee.Lists <bee.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> As per the “7” comment, I always listen to good advice, but usually that advice gets completely derailed with someone saying “nobody should ever be root…”, etc.  Best stated, “some people never let their kids play outside”.  I have a neighbour like that.

Your CentOS box is nowhere near as well-defended as an unattended human child.  The child has millions of years of evolution providing it with an active self-improving immune system, a mammal’s agility, and an apex predator’s cunning.

If you want a human analogue to a CentOS box, it’s closer to a premature baby in a neonatal intensive care unit.  It requires constant inputs from the caregivers and strict adherence to basic guidance like “Don’t open all the doors leading outside at once” to keep these cared-for creations alive.