[CentOS] OT: android phone backup NOT to google cloud question

Wed May 15 14:58:26 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-15 09:37, Walter H. wrote:
> On 15.05.2019 16:21, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> My apologies for OT question.
>>
>> I wonder if someone of Android smartphone owners backs up their device
>> and user/application data NOT to google cloud.
> no problem, host your own nextcloud and get the nextcloud app;
> also no need of having the contacts and/or calendar at google ...

Thanks, Walter. I do host our own: owncloud (the one nextcloud forked
off), and I do have my important data synced through it.

There are though on android device applications that you can not
configure to store data in different location from what programmer
programed in. These go to /data/data on android, and I can do nothing
about these. Say, if I want that place to be inside what ownclud
(nextcloud) syncs, permissions of android system will stop me from
accessing it on the device anyway. Overcoming which will need rooting
the system. Dough.

Thanks anyway!

> and the most important:  you can select by this criteria; other things
> like camera, ... are less important, its a phone ...
>
>> I know, Apple iDevices are a bit better data wise, and Apple has
>> [quite] a bit better reputation, though these are still Apple devices,
>> not yours ;-)
> if better means overpriced then you are right;
> good androids are for less then 200 usd, iPhones start at 500 usd

There may be yet even more "overpriced" device available some day:

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

which has no proprietary code in it whatsoever, and being divorced from
big brother (with uncounted and unaccounted for taxpayers money), it
definitely costs what it costs to be built for small consumer base and
without portion of cost covered by some other parties... Anyway, Apple
device gives cost of its built for big consumer base without portion of
cost covered by other interested parties... In other words, the old
truth stands: you pay anyway (if not money, then by something else).

Valeri