[CentOS] OT: android phone backup NOT to google cloud question

Wed May 15 16:23:52 UTC 2019
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Walter H. wrote:
> On 15.05.2019 16:21, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>
>> My apologies for OT question.
>>
>> I wonder if someone of Android smartphone owners backs up their device
>> and user/application data NOT to google cloud.
> no problem, host your own nextcloud and get the nextcloud app; also no
> need of having the contacts and/or calendar at google ...
>
> and the most important:  you can select by this criteria; other things
> like camera, ... are less important, its a phone ...
>
>> I know, Apple iDevices are a bit better data wise, and Apple has
>> [quite] a bit better reputation, though these are still Apple devices,
>> not yours ;-)
> if better means overpriced then you are right; good androids are for less
> then 200 usd, iPhones start at 500 usd

Um, Valeri,

   About iphones...

Excerpt:
An anonymous reader writes:
A recent vulnerability in WhatsApp shows that there's little defenders can
do to detect and analyze iPhone hacks. Some iOS security experts say this
is yet another incident that shows iOS is so locked down it's hard -- if
not impossible -- to figure out if your own iPhone has been hacked.

[...] "The simple reality is there are so many 0-day exploits for iOS,"
said Stefan Esser, a security researcher that specializes in iOS. "And the
only reason why just a few attacks have been caught in the wild is that
iOS phones by design hinder defenders to inspect the phones." As of today,
there is no specific tool that an iPhone user can download to analyze
their phone and figure out if it has been compromised. In 2016, Apple took
down an app made by Esser that was specifically designed to detect
malicious jailbreaks.
--- end excerpt ---

<https://apple.slashdot.org/story/19/05/14/1938252/its-almost-impossible-to-tell-if-your-iphone-has-been-hacked>

     mark, happy with his flipphone cellular telephone....