[CentOS] Bypassing 'A stop job is running' when rebooting CentOS 7

Thu May 23 13:01:24 UTC 2019
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

Scott Robbins wrote:
> ** WARNING: This mail is from an external source **
>

> On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 03:41:24PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:

>>> I'm not sure it's right to blame systemd.  Systemd asked nicely for
>>> the service to shutdown.
>>
>> But we can blame systemd for the cryptic message
>>
>>    A stop job is running
>
> I didn't read this thread all that carefully, but has anyone mentioned
> editing /etc/systemd/system.conf and changing DefaultTimeoutStartSec and
> DefaultTimeoutStopSec to a lower value?

All the entries in /etc/systemd/system.conf are commented out - and as
the systemd-system.conf man page states:

  By default the configuration file in /etc/systemd/ contains
  commented out entries showing the defaults as a guide to the
  administrator

The DefaultTimeoutStopSec line in /etc/systemd/system.conf is:

  #DefaultTimeoutStartSec=90s

In my case, the 'timeout' on whatever it was trying to do was 90 seconds
- but it kept being increased by ~90 secs until it finally gave up at 30
minutes ...

So I don't think changing DefaultTimeoutStartSec will help here ?

There is no mention of 30 minutes in /etc/systemd/system.conf, that is
why I'm guessing it has something to do with the JobTimeoutSec in
/usr/lib/systemd/system/reboot.target

A bit of (more) googling seems to suggest that this is the setting that
needs to be changed. I believe this means something like 'after 30
minutes from starting the reboot process, force a reboot regardless'

Personally, I think 30 minutes is far too long to wait, especially in
the case of servers where no console access is available ...

James Pearson