[CentOS] C8: Wayland Session / Cut and Paste

Leon Fauster leonfauster at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 8 12:10:18 UTC 2019

Am 08.11.19 um 02:31 schrieb Fred Smith:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 05:50:24PM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
>> On 11/7/19 3:13 PM, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
>>> Is this the normal behavior now? Cutting text in gedit and pasting
>>> it into the terminal needs that the source application stays
>>> running?
>> I've run into this behavior for a while, for several CentOS
>> versions, depending upon the application.
>
> there are also (at least in X) two ways to cut and paste:
> 1. select with mouse then paste with middle-click.
> 2. select with mouse, right-click "select", paste the right-click "paste".
>
> My understanding is that oneuses X facilities and the other is
> part of the desktop.
>
> I would surmise that Weston could be different.

We should distinguish two selection methods PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD [1].
The former is the traditional way (X11) also usable via middle-click.

The latter is the cut/paste via shortcuts or context menu of the desktop
environment.

Both work on different layers but that is not my question.

Using the CLIPBOARD layer I wonder why the cuted data disappears
(or gets deleted) when the source application gets quit.

This behavior is situated in Wayland. gedit and gnome-terminal
uses the Wayland protocol.

Scenarios:
WORKS:  gedit (copy)       -> terminal (paste) -> DATA
DOESNT: gedit (copy)(quit) -> terminal (paste) -> NODATA

or vice versa (application).

Another applications using the Wayland protocol:

$ env MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 firefox

WORKS:  firefox (copy)       -> terminal (paste) -> DATA
DOESNT: firefox (copy)(quit) -> terminal (paste) -> NODATA

but when using the X11 protocol (under Wayland):

$ firefox

WORKS:  firefox (copy)       -> terminal (paste) -> DATA
WORKS:  firefox (copy)(quit) -> terminal (paste) -> DATA

or

$ GDK_BACKEND=x11 gedit

WORKS: gedit (copy)       -> terminal (paste) -> DATA
WORKS: gedit (copy)(quit) -> terminal (paste) -> DATA

So, is this a Wayland bug or a "security feature" of Wayland?

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/PrimarySelection

--
Leon