[CentOS] Help with dracut install CentOS 8

Fri Nov 29 16:48:25 UTC 2019
Markus Falb <markus.falb at fasel.at>

On 29.11.19 17:06, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 11/29/19 6:55 AM, Jerry Geis wrote:
>> I am trying to specify a static IP on the new dracut format. I was using
>> this:
>> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/dracut.cmdline.7.html
>>
>> So my grub entry consists
>> menuentry "Install CentOS 8"  {
>>         linux /boot/vmlinuz noverifyssl ks=https://something
>>   ip=192.168.1.3::192.168.1.1:255.255.255.0::eth0:on:192.168.1.1
>>   biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 ksdevice=eth0 inst.sshd sshd=1
>>         initrd /boot/initrd.img
>> }
>>

>> This seems OK to me. But rebooting to start the install for CentOS 8 it
>> just stops and says
>> "system halted". the lines above that have no errors.
>> .3 is the IP I want to use
>> .1 is the GW and the Nameserver in this case.
>
> I'm guessing something with your kernel and/or initrd.img is incorrect.

My first thought is something is wrong with the kickstart file. But
without console output it is hard to tell. We do not know at what stage
the error occured.

maybe a text based install gives more output to gain insight.

> If it was just the interface not getting configured properly you should
> eventually get a bunch to dracut timeouts and then get dropped into the
> emergency shell where you could poke around, not "system halted".

I agree. But system halted before getting kickstart or after?
Besides console output, another simple thing to check: have a look at
web server logs at https://something

--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb