[CentOS] Help with dracut install CentOS 8

Fri Nov 29 19:08:46 UTC 2019
Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com>

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 11:06 AM Orion Poplawski <orion at nwra.com> wrote:

> On 11/29/19 6:55 AM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> >> I am trying to specify a static IP on the new dracut format. I was using
> >> this:
> >> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/dracut.cmdline.7.html
> >>
> >> So my grub entry consists
> >> menuentry "Install CentOS 8"  {
> >>         linux /boot/vmlinuz noverifyssl ks=https://something
> >>   ip=192.168.1.3::192.168.1.1:255.255.255.0::eth0:on:192.168.1.1
> >>   biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 ksdevice=eth0 inst.sshd sshd=1
> >>         initrd /boot/initrd.img
> >> }
> >>

> >> This seems OK to me. But rebooting to start the install for CentOS 8 it
> >> just stops and says
> >> "system halted". the lines above that have no errors.
> >> .3 is the IP I want to use
> >> .1 is the GW and the Nameserver in this case.
>
> >I'm guessing something with your kernel and/or initrd.img is incorrect.
> >If it was just the interface not getting configured properly you should
> >eventually get a bunch to dracut timeouts and then get dropped into the
> >emergency shell where you could poke around, not "system halted".
>

> So the only thing I changed then was the ":on:" to ":off:", re-ran the
grub2-mkconfig  and I get the dracut timeouts (3 of them) after rebooting
then dracut stating it cannot download my ks file.

So seems like the format is OK.  No idea why its stopping on the ":on:"

jerry