[CentOS] CentOS 8 network-scripts

Always Learning centos at u68.u22.net
Sat Oct 5 18:14:06 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-10-04 at 11:17 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On 10/4/19 10:40 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> > Do not make any changes [in the program] unless they are absolutely
> > necessary.

Especially with production programs.

> Take the transition from horse and buggy to automobile for instance.
> Iron rim tires work just great for the buggy, not so great for the
> automobile; a change had to be made in an old technology (the wheel) to
> meet the needs of the new automobile.

Technically it was never an "upgrade" but a brand new and alternative
system.

> Just remember: the old ways back then was punch card and batch;

With a minimum of 3 tapes; disks had not been invented. Some British
universities had a magnetic drum.

> I _am_ old-school in thought, but I do consciously make the effort to
> understand the newer reasoning, rather than be the greybeard that
> constantly talks about how I did it in the old days.  Heh, in the old
> days I made it work with K&R C, 1MB of RAM, and an 8MHz CPU....

Luxury. Try running on a 32k single processor computer, started with
booting the card reader which read cards that booted from a tape.

> Today, I'm doing things with containers, virtualization, dynamic load
> balancing, software-defined infrastructure/IaaS, etc that the old ways
> simply cannot handle.

No comparison between 50+ years ago with this constantly developing and
fascinating New World. However KISS remains valid. If it works smoothly,
don't mess it up.

Regards.