[CentOS] CentOS 8 Installation Not Recognizing Local Disk

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Thu Oct 10 15:51:58 UTC 2019

On 10/10/19 3:18 PM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:04 AM Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:
>
>> There was a recent thread about Redhat's removal of drivers from LSI
>> SAS2, it's probably the problem you are facing.
>> It can be worked around with the help of Elrepo repo.
>>

>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2019-October/173682.html
>>

>> https://elrepoproject.blogspot.com/2019/08/rhel-80-and-support-for-removed-adapters.html
>>

>> https://elrepo.org/linux/dud/el8/x86_64/dd-mpt3sas-27.101.00.00-1.el8_0.elrepo.iso
>>

> Is there a utility somewhere to check a running system to see if it is
> going to be supported in RHEL/CentOS 8?

If you read the ElRepo Blog, you would know the following:

You can check by running the lspci command (lspci -nn) and compare it
with Red Hats list of removed ID's:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_8/hardware-enablement_considerations-in-adopting-rhel-8#removed-adapters_hardware-enablement

Here is the list of all (so far created) the DUD's for EL8:
https://elrepo.org/linux/dud/el8/x86_64/

And here is ElRepo page http://elrepo.org/tiki/DeviceIDs that shows all
the drivers ElRepo has the drivers for, and can create DUD ISO files if
asked via ElRepo bugzila:
https://elrepo.org/bugs/main_page.php

>> ---
>>
>> On 2019-10-10 14:01, Brewer, Mitchell wrote:
>>> I have an older Dell PowerEdge server with one hard drive, with CentOS
>>> 7 currently installed. I wanted to do a clean install of CentOS 8, but
>>> it doesn't pick up the hard drive. When I click on the destination to
>>> pick the hard drive it only shows the USB drive that I'm installing
>>> from. I checked for a RAID configuration on the server, but there is
>>> only one disk, and no RAID is configured. The disk is controlled by
>>> the PowerEdge Raid Controller (PERC), but when I disable that I lose
>>> the disk completely. I suspect that PERC is part of the problem, but a
>>> CentOS 7 install proceeds normally with PERC enabled. Do you know of a
>>> change from CentOS 7 to 8 that would cause this, or if there is a
>>> workaround? I've searched for several days and haven't found anything
>>> yet.
>>>

>>> Thank you!
>>>

>>> Mitch
>>>

>>> Mitchell Brewer