[CentOS] Hiding a grub menuentry?

Young, Gregory

gregory.young at solarwinds.com
Thu Oct 17 20:19:45 UTC 2019

As long as you include the Grub modules (an issue I ran into with UEFI boot last week on an .iso), you can use the "read" module to prompt for a hidden command. Load the read module at the top, then at the end, put in your prompt and secret boot option. In the case, you type "secret" at the prompt. If you hit <ENTER> as suggested, you get the normal boot menu without the secret option (below boot EFI, but it is a very similar process for BIOS, just use the BIOS linux and initrd commands):

grub.cfg:
insmod read
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
echo "Press the <ENTER> key to Boot."
read boot_cmd

if [ x"${ boot_cmd}" == x"secret" ]; then
	clear
	linuxefi /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=CentOS\x207\x20x86_64 inst.ks=hd:LABEL=CentOS\x207\x20x86_64:/efiks.cfg inst.graphical rhgb quiet
	initrdefi /images/pxeboot/initrd.img
	boot
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###