[CentOS] Keyboard backlight fails with recent kernels

Thu Oct 3 20:24:27 UTC 2019
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

I do not use my laptop often, normally my better half has possession and
use of it.

It is a late 2011 ASUS ROG G73S which performs very well.

The keyboard backlight was an issue initially under CentOS6, but the
kind folks at elrepo found the missing bits in a more recent kernel and
created a package to add them to the older CentOS6 kernel.

An upgrade to CentOS7 went without a hitch and the keyboard lighting has
worked fine.

Recently I sat infront of the machine and couldn't see the keys - no
backlight.

A number of reboots later I have found that the latest kernel that I
have on the machine, that works okay is 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64

3.10.0-957.21.2.el7 and 3.10.0-957.27.2.el7 both fail to load/activate
the driver for the keyboard.

Would someone with the requisite knowledge please advise what I need to do.

Is this a case for using the CentOSplus kernel or do I need to find and
load a driver or two? or do I need to request the elrepo folk to make a
suitable package.

Thanks
Rob