[CentOS] Keyboard backlight fails with recent kernels

Fri Oct 4 06:28:58 UTC 2019
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

On 10/3/19 10:24 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> I do not use my laptop often, normally my better half has possession and
> use of it.
>
> It is a late 2011 ASUS ROG G73S which performs very well.
>
> The keyboard backlight was an issue initially under CentOS6, but the
> kind folks at elrepo found the missing bits in a more recent kernel and
> created a package to add them to the older CentOS6 kernel.
>
> An upgrade to CentOS7 went without a hitch and the keyboard lighting has
> worked fine.
>
> Recently I sat infront of the machine and couldn't see the keys - no
> backlight.
>
> A number of reboots later I have found that the latest kernel that I
> have on the machine, that works okay is 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64
>
> 3.10.0-957.21.2.el7 and 3.10.0-957.27.2.el7 both fail to load/activate
> the driver for the keyboard.
>
> Would someone with the requisite knowledge please advise what I need to do.
>
> Is this a case for using the CentOSplus kernel or do I need to find and
> load a driver or two? or do I need to request the elrepo folk to make a
> suitable package.

I propose following:
Install and test with latest centosplus kernel (I use them exclusively
because all drivers are enabled and some stuff is added/enabled that
RHEL disables for speed since they do not not need them).

After you test centosplus kernel, not matter the outcome, file a bug
report with all the details at https://bugs.centos.org so devs can
triage the problem.