[CentOS] CentOS 8 Broken Installation

Thu Oct 3 12:38:05 UTC 2019

> On Oct 3, 2019, at 6:24 AM, Günther J. Niederwimmer <gjn at gjn.priv.at> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 3. Oktober 2019, 01:10:58 CEST schrieb Akemi Yagi:
>> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 3:35 PM Günther J. Niederwimmer <gjn at gjn.priv.at>
> wrote:
>>> This Board have 2 Controller!°
>>> 00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset
>>> SATA
>>> RAID Controller (rev 06)
>>>
>>> On this controller all drives are found and it is possible to create a
>>> Raid1!
>>>
>>> 07:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Intel Corporation C602 chipset
>>> 4-Port SATA Storage Control Unit (rev 06)
>>>
>>> But on this Contoller NO drives found?
>>
>> If you provide the device ID pairing [xxxx:yyyy] for the one that is
>> not working, it will become clear. Can you show us the output from:
>>
>> lspci -nn
>>
>> Is it this one?
>>
>> Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: Intel Corporation C602 chipset
>> 4-Port SATA Storage Control Unit [8086:1d6b]
>>
>> If so, the above device ID [8086:1d6b] is not supported in RHEL/CentOS
>> 8, unfortunately.
>
> ??
> Yes, I Have :-(
>
> 07:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: Intel Corporation C602 chipset
> 4-Port SATA Storage Control Unit [8086:1d6b] (rev 06)?
>
> what is the Problem with this chipset and why it is no longer supported ??

My impression is that you have it set to “RAID” instead of “AHCI” in BIOS. Switch in BIOS its operation to AHCI, you will see attached drives. Configure these drives as software RAID.

As a matter of fact neither of fake RAID cards were ever supported by systems I know of (excluding MS Windows) as RAID cards. That is where jargon “fake RAID” widely used by Linux Folks comes from.

System board manufacturers (motherboard is common jargon for system board for over 20 years) share their part in the spreading of fake RAID chips. Fake RAID chip is cheap (pun intended), so adding it to system board does not increase its cost much, but increases it apparent value in eyer of uninformed (I should say ignorant) mass consumer. It is probably time to call garbage (fake RAID) garbage and not expect from it to behave as real RAID (hardware RAID), and definitely not put blame on the system for garbage hardware being garbage hardware.

Sorry about long post, I keep being upset by manufacturers who do this.

Valeri