[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Pete Biggs pete at biggs.org.uk
Wed Sep 25 12:30:16 UTC 2019

> I am guessing that because CentOS releases only every 3-5 years,
> people forget how much work is done at the beginning of every release.
> First there is a lack of packages available. Then there is the
> complaining that the OS is useless because it doesn't have ABC. Then
> there is finding the people who are challenged enough by the lack of
> packages to go learn how to package up stuff and make it available.
> Then there is a section where packages get uniform and together. Then
> things pretty much stay at that until the next CentOS major release...
> people either decide they want to skip to the next or just wait it
> out.
>
> So currently we are in the finding out the lack of packages and the
> complaining stage. The real challenge will be finding the people who
> see that as a challenge versus a show-stopper and do the next steps.

Surely this is exactly what the SIGs and CentOS Stream are for:
developing and contributing to the forthcoming releases of RHEL/CentOS.
If Mate or whatever is so important to you, then get involved in the
relevant SIG - which in this case is probably

 https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AlternativeDesktop

personally, and I know this seems a bit heretic around here, but I
actually like Gnome.

P.