[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 11:50:07 UTC 2019

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 17:09, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 16:55:19 -0400
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
> > Nothing has changed since the September 16 answer I gave:
> >
> > This is more of a question for the EPEL lists versus here. The current
> > status is that desktops are harder to package up in EL8 and only a
> > less feature version is available at the moment. At the moment the
> > only one I know of is KDE is half implemented in EPEL Playground and
> > will be reimplemented as a module when EPEL gains the ability to do
> > modules. At that point interested people can also do the work to make
> > Mate/Cinnamon/etc available.
>
> Thanks ever so much for the update, even though as you say nothing much has changed.
>
> Perhaps now that more people have their hands on Centos 8 and can work with it the folks who know what they're doing for getting desktops running on EL8 (and I'm definitely not one of them) will be able to make further progress.
>
> I sincerely appreciate the update, though.  Since Mate is widely used, I suspect other folks who follow this mailing list would also be interested progress reports and release announcements when and if something becomes available.

I am guessing that because CentOS releases only every 3-5 years,
people forget how much work is done at the beginning of every release.
First there is a lack of packages available. Then there is the
complaining that the OS is useless because it doesn't have ABC. Then
there is finding the people who are challenged enough by the lack of
packages to go learn how to package up stuff and make it available.
Then there is a section where packages get uniform and together. Then
things pretty much stay at that until the next CentOS major release...
people either decide they want to skip to the next or just wait it
out.

So currently we are in the finding out the lack of packages and the
complaining stage. The real challenge will be finding the people who
see that as a challenge versus a show-stopper and do the next steps.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.