[CentOS] why windows 10 can't access centos samba

me at tdiehl.org

Thu Sep 12 23:37:37 UTC 2019

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019, John Hodrien wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Sep 2019, qw wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I can access centos's samba via windows 7, but fail via windows 10. Why?
>
> I'm pretty sure this is because the default Samba config doesn't enable SMB2.
>
> Make sure this is set in your smb.conf and I think you should be good:
>
> [global]
> max protocol = SMB2

Why? This is NOT necessary for win 10 to work. I do not even know if it will
work with win 10 but for sure it is not necessary. You are actually suggesting
going backwards.

>From the smb.conf man page:

Default: server max protocol = SMB3

By default SMB3 selects the SMB3_11 variant.

SMB3_11: Windows 10 technical preview SMB3 version (maybe final).

I have a half dozen or so samba file servers that have a combination of
win7 and win10 versions running and none of the config files contain
anything that changes the SMB version.

I would suspect if you have to mess with the SMB protocols to get win 10
to talk, you are doing something else wrong.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org