[CentOS] CentOS 8 installation

Thu Apr 30 23:06:43 UTC 2020
isdtor <isdtor at gmail.com>

Are there still a lot of rough edges in this area? There are some things I simply can't get to work.

This is about kickstart installations. Finding the right stuff for the %packages sections is lucky dip at best. The RHEL manual points to the comps file, really? This file isn't meant to be parsed by humans.

Specifying an environment - the example "Infrastructure Server" doesn't exist. Is this one of the areas where CentOS deviates from RHEL? I did find server-product-environment, custom-environment, minimal-environment.

I followed the link in the documentation to the kickstart file generator. The generated file isn't usable as is, specifically the %packages section - anaconda says there is no group dns-server, for instance. Which dnf later confirms. The group list in dnf also seems to be a lot shorter than it used to be under 7?

Specifying %packages --multilib, this is where it breaks down completely. For the chosen group/package mix, which works perfectly without multilib, anaconda complains about conflicts for files provided by both the i686 and the x86_64 version of, in this case, gdb-headless and sssd-common. Attempting to fix this with

-gdb-headless.i686
-sssd-common.i686

fails, these lines are being ignored. Excluding gdb-headless altogether fails also because the main gdb package pulls it in.

Honestly, I'm not sure where to go from here.